Dr. Andrew Schimel a Featured Speaker at Baptist Health’s Diabetes Symposium
Andrew Schimel, MD, our retina expert at The Center For Excellence in Eye Care, is sharing his knowledge on the podium with over 300 physicians including endocrinologists and other primary care diabetic providers this Saturday, October 14th, at Baptist Hospital during the Fifth Annual Baptist Health Diabetes Symposium!
Dr. Schimel will kick off his lecture titled, Epidemiology and Diagnosis of Diabetic Retinopathy at 9:10 AM.
The audience will include: Hospitalists, Internists, Family Practitioners, Emergency Medicine Physicians, Surgeons, Cardiologists, Endocrinologists, Podiatrists, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Laboratory Personnel, Occupational Therapists, Pharmacists, Respiratory Therapists, Nurses, Dietitians and other interested healthcare practitioners. Basically all doctors who treat diabetic patients!
What will be taught? Below are the learning objectives for the full symposium:
- Apply updated guidelines in the management ofpatients in a hyperglycemic crisis
- Utilize a triage system to determine the best location of care and therapeutic approach for patients during a hyperglycemic crisis.
- Discuss methods to address risk factors for recurrent diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) prior to discharge.
- Examine the results of cardiovascular disease trials that include type 2 diabetes management agents.
- Implement a cardiodiabetological approach to patient care.
- Approach diabetes as a multifaceted disorder by addressing factors beyond glucose control.
- Identify the risk factors for diabetic retinopathy.
- Explain current technologies for glucose monitoring and current practice guidelines.
- Identify current and emerging technologies for insulin subcut infusion therapy.
- List current technology options for population management of diabetic patients with diabetes using technology.
- Assist patients with implementing self-care behaviors to improve quality of life.
- Demonstrate how active collaboration with a healthcare team will improve clinical outcomes.
To learn more about Dr. Schimel, please click here.
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Schimel for yourself or a loved one who has diabetes and is concerned about their eye health, please call us at 305-598-2020 (Mon-Fri) or email us for an appointment request (Mon-Fri) at Laura@centerforeyecare.com!